Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Song of the day: "O sonho", by Madredeus

The song for today is by my favourite Portuguese band, Madredeus (wikipedia entry)- and I'd like to think I got a bit of "feeling" for Portuguese music (and for many other things related to Portugal) from my very good friends Miguel and Carla. For the connaisseurs no further information on Madredeus is required; for the others, I'll just say that their music is simply heavenly - and urge them to discover that for themselves.

I selected a couple of absolutely great songs by Madredeus, available on YouTube. Try for instance "O Labirinto Parado" (with a close to perfect videoclip here) or "O Pomar das Laranjeiras" (live performance). The song of the day is the masterpiece "O sonho", from the album "O Paraiso" (live peformance in Belgrade, 2000, in this youtube videoclip), which I dedicate to Daria with all my Happy Birthday wishes (or well, Parabens!, to have it assorted...). The lyrics are below:


O Sonho

Quem contar
um sonho que sonhou
não conta tudo o que encontrou
Contar um sonho é proibido

Eu sonhei
um sonho com amor
e uma janela e uma flor
uma fonte de água e o meu amigo
E não havia mais nada...
só nós, a luz, e mais nada...
Ali morou o amor

Amor,
Amor que trago em segredo
num sonho que não vou contar
e cada dia é mais sentido

Amor,
eu tenho amor bem escondido
num sonho que não sei contar
e guardarei sempre comigo

No comments: