Thursday, December 07, 2006

The economics of blogging

Also (since I was just talking about Cowen's advice regarding success in the blogosphere) via Marginal Revolution: some people have started thinking about the economics of blogging (so did I). Here's the opinion of one of them, unfortunately a non-economist (and some of them really think they can do the job of the economists), who concludes (destroys!) his otherwise very interesting attempt with
Economically speaking (sic!- my addition), what do you make of the blogosphere? My own contribution: There's a lot more to life than economics knows how to account for.


I would say there is a lot more economics you should learn before you judge to what extent economics can acount for life in general, or for the blogosphere bit in particular. And that without any tendency towards the (so much hated outside economics) "economic imperialism" (see Eddie Lazear's view on that).

I am sure I will come back to this economics of blogging topic at some point since this is extremely interesting (and nowadays it's not so difficult to collect the right data to back up any such research).

2 comments:

Gabriel M said...

If blogging is consumption then post frequency could be best understood via an Euler equation. How many times didn't we move homeworks around to smooth-out over time our posts writing? ;-)

Sebi Buhai said...

Interesting, but the starting point in my opinion should be really in discussing about incentives and then turning to cost-benefit analysis. The first bit is less technical (but could be counter-intuitive).

Coming to your post, I am not sure "blogging", ie. the action, can be set equivalent to "consumption". Consumption of what? You're not totally far off, but I have a feeling you are not thinking what I am thinking, so maybe you want to give more details. Now, consumption aside for a moment, what impedes you in equating blogging with investment (think about the pros, for instance).