Sunday, December 03, 2006

Good intro to opera

I'd very much like to believe I am no longer "fresh to opera", but I still found Tyler Cowen's post on how to get started with opera extremely informative. In fact, I regret not having had such a "guide" when I first got interested in opera. Some good advice can be located also by browsing through the readers' comments to this Marginal Revolution post of Cowen that I mentioned above. For instance somebody indicates the "Fresh to Opera" site, which has quite some tips for people who want to get initiated in operas. Somebody else mentions courses by Teaching Company's Robert Greenberg, particularly his course "How to Listen to and Understand Opera". I must say I am tempted and most likely I'll download a few of these audio courses and go through them with the first opportunity (probably that would be an excellent idea while travelling long distance). At some point I hope to give you my impression on them.

This being said, I recall I also blogged at some point about my impressions on Leoncavallo's Pagliacci after having seen it live at the wonderful Arena di Verona.

No comments: