Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Time management tips

As usually, Tyler Cowen on Marginal Revolution has excellent tips for everybody. This time on reading fast, academic publishing and time management in general. Tips which aren't really 'miraculous solutions', but really things that could work - or more precisely, things that could work if you fulfilled the initial conditions (oh well, it's never too late- and that belongs to me today, not to Cowen).... I emphasize for each of them what I think is most relevant (while allowing you to make up your own mind, of course).

  • How to read fast. Essence (paraphrasing Cowen): Read lots. And lots. And you should have started reading lots a long time ago - just don't bother any longer if you didn't :-).
  • The deadline is always now ! Point 4 is also excellent.
  • And this is by far my favourite: time management for academic publishing (I admit I am particularly very bad at point 3.- at the same time it is true that I work best late at night!). And the dark side looks indeed very dark :-). My former physics thesis advisor, Frank Witte (who apparently became a naked science author lately- I should really come back to this in some future post, the science part of it, that is) , would love this Darth Sidious pedagogical perspective.

No comments: