Monday, February 12, 2007

Today's song: Francesco de Gregori's "La Donna Cannone"

Francesco de Gregori does not need any introduction: for anybody who knows Italian music, this artist is one of their gods. He is one of my top 5 favourite Italian musicians, in his case superlative both as singer and as songwriter. Some fabulous songs from him that I could trace as clips on YouTube (there are more that I really like but could not find...): Alice, Buffalo Bill (live performance from 1976!), La Storia. Today's masterpiece and perhaps de Gregori's all time most famous song, an Italian 'classic' really, is "La Donna Cannone". Let me know if it did not impress you. The lyrics can be read here (and here there is an English translation). Grande, grande Francesco de Gregori!


Note: I have to say that my absolute favourite piece from de Gregori is "Generale" (in fact this is how I got interested in the music of Francesco de Gregori to start with, by travelling - years ago- with a bus, from L'Aquila to Roma, and listening for the first time, on radio, to this amazing song!), but I could not find anywhere to link it here. I only found a cover of it (not bad, gives you an impression of its force, but it is certainly not the 'de Gregori signature'...) by another Italian legend (in my top 5 as well), Vasco Rossi, about whom more with the next occasion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately the link to Donna doesn't work, that is the best Italian music every written.

Sebi Buhai said...

Yep, sometimes those YouTube clips are deleted etc. You can always find other copies though, just check for the title of the song. A bit of YouTube practice :-).